With back-to-school time, here is a great easy recipe for lunch boxes and for those Labor Day picnics this weekend. Cowboy Salad is quick to make so you’ll have more time for “me” time.
Recipe Title: Cowboy Salad
Recipe Source: Food Hero www.foodhero.org
Number of servings: 8 cups
Time for preparation (including preparation and cooking): 20 minutes
- 2 cans (15 ounces) black-eyed peas or black beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions (5 green onions)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas (or black beans) and corn.
- Finely chop the cilantro and green onions.
- Dice the tomatoes and avocados.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix oil, vinegar or lime juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pour oil mixture over salad ingredients and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve with your favorite meal or as a snack with tortilla chips.
- Use fresh corn – boil 3 to 4 ears of fresh corn, remove kernels from cob.
- Try adding other vegetables such as sweet or hot peppers or zucchini.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans