Here’s a recipe with a simple stir-together meal from EatRight.org.
8 oz uncooked penne pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 16oz package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 16 oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium-sized red bell pepper, thinly sliced; slices halved
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup freshly grated or shredded parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat
- Add the garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to fully release into the oil
- Add the broccoli, beans, pepper, 3 tablespoons water, and salt
- Cover and adjust heat to medium. Steam, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes, or until the broccoli is hot and pepper is crisp and tender
- Toss the pasta with the vegetables. Top with the parmesan cheese and fresh pepper
For a spicier flavor, add more garlic and/or pepper.
Substitute any vegetables you like, varying cooking time as needed.
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 265, Total fat: 6g, Saturated fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 2mg, Sodium: 215mg, Total Carbohydrates: 41g, Dietary fiber: 7g, Protein: 12g
Note: You can use 16oz (2 cups) of frozen peas instead of garbanzo beans, if you prefer. The amount of protein is similar.
By Melissa Ohlson, MS, RD, LD