Fabulous Fig Bars
Recipe Source: Recipe and photo from www.FoodHero.org
Number of servings: 24
Time for preparation (including preparation and cooking): 1 hour 15 min
16 ounces stemmed, chopped dried figs
1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
1⁄3 cup sugar
1⁄4 cup orange juice (juice from 1/2 orange)
2 Tablespoons hot water
1⁄2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1⁄4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or oil a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Combine figs, walnuts, sugar, orange juice and hot water in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together margarine and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and mix until smooth.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Stir into egg mixture. Blend in oats to make soft dough.
- Reserve 1 cup of dough for topping. With floured fingertips, press the remaining dough into a thin layer on the bottom of baking pan.
- Spread fig mixture evenly over the dough. Crumble reserved dough over top, allowing fig mixture to show.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in baking pan. Cut into 24 bars (about 2.5 x 2 inches).