Recipe and photo from www.FoodHero.org
Number of servings: 5
Time for preparation (including preparation and cooking): 25 min
1⁄2 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
3⁄4 cup buttermilk
1⁄2 cup carrots, finely grated
1 Tablespoon oil
1⁄4 cup nonfat or 1% milk
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1⁄2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Mix oatmeal and buttermilk and set aside to soak.
- Peel and grate the carrot with a fine grater.
- Add egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract, if desired, to the oatmeal mixture; beat well. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Measure dry ingredients and stir into the wet ingredients until batter is fairly smooth. If it seems too thick add a small amount of milk.
- Lightly spray a large skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray or lightly wipe with oil. Heat skillet or griddle over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To see if skillet is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If drops skitter around, heat is just right.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.