Recipe Source: Recipe and photo from www.FoodHero.org
Number of servings: 10
Time for preparation (including preparation and cooking): 1 hour
1 medium butternut squash, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
1 1⁄2 Tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
2 cans (4 ounce each) diced green chilies (see notes section)
1 cup grated cheese (try Monterey jack)
- Peel squash, cut in half and remove seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Add onions and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add the squash, salt and chili powder.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in chilies and cook about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.